CHECK OUT MORE INFORMATION FROM THESE LINKS and VIDEOS BELOW

Something to smile about

Well, I haven't posted anything in a while. Been a busy summer. I've noticed that a lot of what I have published so far is a lot of information and feelings about the negative affects of BCD. I want to take this time to publish the good things that are in life in spite of having a BCD.

First of all, BCD is treatable! More and better treatments are becoming available to us as well as better counseling. We are still a long ways away from a perfect treatment not to mention a cure, but take hope that their is help out there.

We have better understanding of coping skills. This can help us and those of our loved ones in our lives know how to handle the effects of a BCD.

I am happy to report that my treatment is working well at this time. It is not perfect and I am noticing some depression creeping back in at this time, but I have knowledge and putting plans into place to help me cope and get through it.

One thing I am trying to do is to be very open and honest about my condition with people who I interact with. I don't want to offend others. So I let them know about some things that happen to me when symptoms return so they can say, "Oh ya, that it the BCD, not Shauna talking."

I have struggled with coming to terms with people who abandoned me and didn't treat me so well last year when I got really bad - the meds they switched me to worked really well at dampening the Anxiety/Panic and Depression I get. However for several months it caused a great roller coaster of emotions come flooding out of me and made me a little strange for a while.... ;>) - Took away all my fear and so I wasn't afraid to say just exactly what was on my mind.

I want to say (not that I am) but it was almost like a bi-polar experience for me. Very high and giddy - wanting to play all the time for a few days - then crash and be very depressed and emotional. Relived a lot of grief from the deaths of my parents several years ago.

At the same time the positive person who is me was trying to break through all of that and make and be friends with people and build and lift them up.

I found I needed some time to hang out with friends. Some were very accomodating and helpful. Some, not so much. Some of my spiritual leaders struggled with giving me the spiritual support and help I needed. It hurt a lot to be rejected by them. But I still love them and want to be friends. I just hope someday they will open their minds and not be afraid of learning about what I have instead of getting upset and insisting I see a doctor instead. I do see a doctor, but they are not a spiritual doctor. I have spiritual needs as well.

With all that was going on and all that I was experiencing with my emotions, I really needed to be able to talk to someone who shared the same spiritual beliefs as I had. I talked with my husband and he helped as best as he could, but I really felt a strong need for getting help from my spiritual leaders.... probably just having them be good listeners and offering words of comfort is all I was looking for... and feeling loved and accepted regardless of my BCD.
But that didn't come at that time.

Things are getting better. There is s different spiritual leader in my life now, but there are still some of the same leaders in place that I hope will someday learn and grow and understand and not be so close minded.

I don't know what they are afraid of.

But for the most part, I am feeling good. Life is challenging as ever and we are dealing with trials as we all do. But I am still learning about my condition, treatments, support and coping.

Hang in there!


Shauna